Monday 7 April 2014

Meg's Eggs

So here's a little Easter themed lesson. I haven't got the book, so I have made my own flashcards with Meg, Mog and Owl and then three big easter eggs. The easter eggs are cut in half and have hinges so that I can open them up to show the dinosaurs inside.




Topic: Easter! Meg, Mog and Owl, who my kids will remember from their Halloween lesson, are hungry, but Meg's spell to rustle up some eggs goes a little wrong...

Age: 4-9 years

Vocabulary: Meg, Mog, Owl. Egg(s) dinosaur(s) Stegosaurus, Tyrannosaurus Rex, Diplodocus. "I'm hungry!" "Who are you?" "It's too big!" "I'm going to eat you! (optional)"

Procedure:


  • Sing your hello song and say Happy Easter!
  • Talk about the significance of eggs at Easter (new life) and the Easter Bunny. You will need to use some L1 here, but I think it's totally worth it, since the Easter Bunny and Easter egg hunts don't exist in Italy.
  • Review or pre-teach the three main characters with flashcards. It's a good idea to associate an action with each name (meg's point hat, owl can fly, mog's a cat), so that you can elicit the names as you tell the story.
  • Tell the students the story of Meg's eggs, with the book or with props (as in my case). See if you can elicit the types of dinosaurs when they emerge from their eggs (there is a dinosaur expert in every class no matter the age!) When Meg says the spell, I like to make up my own simple ones that the students can join in with.
Abracadabra three eggs please!
Spiders, frogs' legs 1,2,3!
Abracadabra!

Abracadabra make my dinosaurs small!
Their big and hungry and very tall!
Abracadabra!
  • Top Tip - if you haven't got a book it's hard to get the visual laugh at the end. I ask the kids what they think Meg's second spell has done and then tell them to wait and see if they are right when we watch the video.
  • Worksheet time! There are quite a few possibilities here. I've opted for an easter egg hunt worksheet.
For the Primary school students
For the nursery school students
  • Finally finish the lesson with the video. You could pause and elicit some of the vocabulary if you so wished.

Extensions:

I haven't got much this week, I'm afraid as it's a one off lesson. There is an absolute multitude of Easter egg colouring worksheets and Easter cards to make online.

This and more HERE
And then there's this adorable nusery rhyme that the nursery school kids will love since it goes well with actions. I think it's the having to be still before hopping around like mad that floats their boat! Plus you will never get it out of your head again. Sorry about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment